February 8, 2010

Saul Leiter


The crit today reminded me of Saul Leiter. My mom actually sent me his website for me to check out (thanks mom!). Here are a few of his photos..





The color and light seen in these three photos create a warm feel. The textures that are already present or created by light draws my interest, especially the photo with what seems to be a train car. The floor mats and the seat covers bring it to life, so much that I didn't even notice the foot resting on the seat. I feel like I am being drawn in more and more by different textures. I feel that they can communicate an emotion when people aren't present in the frame, or it could be something that I search for in every photo I see. I have strong emotions, so I can understand it more when I feel like I can connect that way.

Another element of the first photo would be the photo within the photo that overlaps. I don't know what it's called, double exposure comes to mind, but I don't remember if that's right. I feel more engaged with what's going on inside the frame, it's as if the ghost image is of someone looking out of the train car window. I am included more in what is going on.

I had thought about this kind of double image, but I wasn't sure if it took away from or is too much of a distraction?

2 comments:

Jed Hoon | February 8, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Monica,

I believe the 'double-exposure' effect you see is actually consequence of shooting the photograph through a window.

Shane

chrisRULES | February 10, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Yes this does look like it was taken through a window.

When I was on my trip I experimented with some double exposure shots. My experience showed me that if used right, the double exposures can be a wonderful tool or the cheesiest technique in the world. You have to either find clever ways to do it, or have some pretty out of the ordinary ideas to go along with the surreal atmosphere that you are creating. I know this sucks to some people (me being one of them), but remember that we are using Photoshop and simple overlay of two scanned negatives can create the double exposure effect. That could be a way to mess around with the technique to see if you like it before you go shooting a ton of rolls only to find out that you hate it.

so it can be good or bad.

Post a Comment