February 1, 2010

LIGHT





I have such a fascination with the meaning of light in photography. I have tried to learn how to use different light in my photography. I try to take pictures with natural light, artificial light, and studio light. I believe I need to continue to work and learn with each, because I spend so little time with each(only a semester, really). I think we need to incorporate light and to truly understand its purpose. It is what highlights what is most important, or it can distract us, and be used against our photography. I have found it the hardest thing to conquer with the development of my photography-truly understanding its use. I hope to continue to learn that each time I set up my camera and see the light through my viewfinder.

The artist I have been following is Hugo Fernandas. His specific work that intrigues me is call Intimate Strangers. It is a body of work done to describe his intimate relationships with the men he has been with. His use of light I just think adds to the highlighting of his relationships. It has been said by reviewers that he has aquired an almost cinematic feel with his uses of light. He has made us either feel uncomfortable...thrown off...etc. But the large feeling, I believe, we all would feel is just utter curiosity. Alot of his pictures have done what artists continue to struggle with and want to achieve in each of their photos/paintings/drawings etc... I appreciate his use of light, and his specific use of that light, and its focus. I am not sure how I feel about the subject content, personally, but I do know that I know that I commend him for documenting an important part of his life and how that effects him. I feel like his subjects being in the dark, are showing us that the topic of gay men, or homosexuality, has a dark spot still on it. It has a blind spot, that many people don't want to see. I think it takes SO SO much courage, strength and talent to take pictures that terrify you, that you feel like people are going to judge, or something that brings such emotion to you, and you risk that other people won't feel the same kind or to such a high degree...

I feel so much emotion for so many things, and I understand that others may not have that same intensity for my specific cause. However, don't you think that because YOU feel it you might be able to bring a new emotion and perspective to someone who is viewing your art-that they might be able to see and almost "feel" that passion if you put it on the wall?



0 comments:

Post a Comment