February 27, 2010

Quote that Shane e-mailed us...


More profoundly and at times negatively, the way art is experienced has changed. Conceptual Art has encouraged the assumption that every object, every picture, even every abstract painting tells a story – that it carries within it some kind of narrative, meaning or “subtext.” Equally ingrained is the more limiting expectation that all this meaning is primarily intellectual and easily reduced to language, that art as an entity is completely explainable. We owe to conceptualism years of one-lined artworks in all media – the “I get it” school of esthetic experience. This condition has caused a permanent confusion of content with subject matter, to the continuing detriment of both content and form. Too often, art that lacks an explicit subject is thought to be without content and dismissed.

Roberta Smith, The New York Times


I'd like to hear what people feel about this quote, it sounds like it would foster some good discussion.

2 comments:

Monica | February 27, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I think that Roberta makes a great point. The meaning behind photos is something that we have been talking about. I certainly have struggled with this, Especially when I thought about not including people in my photographs. It wasn't until recently that I found more meaning in the shots that I am taking. I didn't see as much as all of you did when we had critique and that really opened a door for me. I think the last line of the quote is important.

Jacki | February 28, 2010 at 11:14 PM

I think both quotes that were sent fit hand in hand with what we have been discussing as of late. Monica, I'm so glad to hear that you have been exploring these non-people portraits. (See the post below them).

But about this quote. I feel the same as Roberta. I get frustrated that viewers shut down a piece of work if they simply, "don't get it right away." As Shane often says, "great art should make you ask questions." (I think this is a Shane quote). I truly believe that the more questions a viewer can ask about a piece of work, the greater it becomes. Not only does the viewer linger with their eyes, but you know how some art work is just burned in your mind? That is strong work. You can't put a label on it or describe the story of it. Questions about work can be asked in a number of ways, but this should not be limited to technique about how it was executed. I feel that the art world has an overwhelming pressure to make an explainable meaning behind their work. As if the artist has a great hidden meaning lurking under every pen stroke or shutter release. Not to cut down passion or what drives a person to do what they do. But the way I work, it often takes me a whole series of photos to realize why I shot what I did. I can try to justify what I shoot by placing the meaning I see fit on it. But the ART STANDS ALONE. I cannot tell the story. For example Joshua Hoffine's work stands out in my mind, not because I can say exactly what it means. I know what it means to me but it doesn't apply to everyone else's interpretation of it. It intrigues me because it makes me ask questions, especially viewing it as an adult. How does this image apply to me. So I fully agree that the prescribed get it or trash it attitude is inappropriate for viewing art.

Post a Comment