February 25, 2010

recents


These are some of my recent photographs. They look like crap on here for some reason, but I'll figure that out another time. So far I am feeling a little more comfortable with my idea behind my lighting than I did when I began this project. Since I do not feel like I have a good enough grasp on studio lighting nor do I have access to a soft box, I have been getting comfortable with unnatural lighting. I like it because it gives the picture a nice glow rather than a forced light or sunlight. I am still trying to figure out my subject matter. I know why I am shooting these, I just am still in my process of figuring out how to show it. Let me know how facial portraits impact you guys, how cropped off heads impact you, or collar bone area effectiveness. Gracias.






4 comments:

Jed Hoon | February 25, 2010 at 6:46 AM

Chris,

Join the Intermediate group next week in the studio. We can talk about taking a strobe/soft box to location for you to experiment with.

Monica | February 25, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Like Matt said in crit today, the images with people who aren't smiling intrigue me more, especially the last one. Maybe he's smirking a little bit, but what sets this apart from the rest is how the light is composed on his face. The way that his eyes look like black sockets ties it in to the other images that don't have faces. He is void of a concrete identity by not being able to express an emotion. The strongest in my opinion are the last two... which is totally different than what others felt, but it's good to have a variety of opinions right? Either way there are many things you can explore and I am excited to see what becomes of it.

Monica | February 25, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I can't get that third image out of my mind, and I don't wanna post why it makes my skin crawl because I don't want to impose that on other people, but that one is powerful to me technically and compositionally. Although the colors looked different on the projector, the shirt looked brighter and more vibrant.

Jacki | March 1, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Chris,
I encourage you to shoot more. I know this is quite an expense to endure, but you have posted some successful stuff and I think you have a high potential to do much more with this. If you are concerned with only doing work on the camera you made, then just experiment with a 35mm, it is much less expensive than what you are doing now. To get a similar effect you could crop your photos you scan in as squares? Just a thought.

Post a Comment