February 11, 2010

New Work





This is my latest work...I repeated what I did last week, but I have finally come up with my goal, and I am really excited about it...It follows along these lines. I am going to continue documenting my dad, but also have a new idea that I might use as well, until I decided which way to go for the semester...

I am using Annie Leibovitz's portraits of Women, as an inspiration for sure, and also I had forgotten until Jacki reminded me, the artist Kyle Ferino, who documented his father. I really am moved by both artist and their portrayals of these subjects...




1 comments:

Jacki | February 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Mary,

I think you have something very interesting going here. I would consider your lighting situations. Just for example, the last feels more morbid to me than the other two (I know this was experimental, but something to consider). I think that your style could make really interesting diptychs. As a person that yearns for tangibility (word?) hands are extremely intriguing to me. The fact that these are your father's hands also makes me think of how they aged, raising you, comforting you through cooking food, etc. A possible question you might consider is: portrait of face+ shot of hands=?

I know that you're not too certain if you want to stick with this idea, so I encourage you to experiment a bit. I think this is a strong start.

-Jacks

Post a Comment