February 7, 2010

Matthew Robert Hughes




I am astounded by these pictures. It really has made me open my ideas to the possibilty of what art is, and what photography can be, if you just think about it, and make it your own. These pictures are Matthew Hughes's photos, but then xeroxed on a regular black and white copying machine. This is something we all have access to, and yet we didn't think that it was appropriate, because it would have made our material look cheapened! This work does not look cheap to me! I just though it was done in a darkroom, maybe the originals were, but then the ones shown in the gallery or all on paper from a copying machine. Why do we not think of these things? I believe that we restrict ourselves from doing what we let flit through our brains, because we are "afraid" of what others are going to think or say. I am sure if I consulted someone about xeroxing my photos on an old copy machine in the Copy Center, they would think "good luck..." Now, I understand that, that cannot restrict our understanding or our desire to accomplish what we want to at least try, but I think it does. Monica and I were both saying that we were nervous about showing our first bout of work at class on Friday. I think we had that same feeling the first critique in Intro and Intermediate. Oh wait...I think I had that at the beginning of EVERY critique and everytime I show my pictures, because I care WAY to much about what people think of my artwork. It is our passion. It is our creative mind. Shouldn't that really be enough? There is a part of me that thinks yes, but I know that there will always be a part of me, that has nerves because I am afraid that when they leave a gallery, or wherever my art is shown, that they are going to talk about how much they didn't like it. Stupid? Yes, of course. Don't guys mostly say they like girls that are confidant...I think that goes along with our art as well! Let us try to make a goal for (most of ours) last semester together and respect that we all know eachother and respect eachother as friends, students and fellow artists and screw those who are going to talk about how something that was emotional, driving, inspiring, scarring to us, is crap! Who the hell cares! It's ours! Not much is truly OURS in this world. Let's take advantage of those few things that come out of our head as being those few true treasures we own!

Now that I am done with my rant...My question would be...even when you are putting something up, do you feel confidant (with any art) , and what other feelings do you have concering what your peers are thinking? I might be wrong, but after being so close with Monica and Jacki (and knowing Chris) for our class last semester, I think I am not to far off....

3 comments:

Jacki | February 7, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Mary, once again, inspiring!

I really enjoyed this post because it was encouraging. I am excited to have this class with such interesting people. I think that we could all benefit from working with one another. I would really like to set up a time that we could meet outside of class- if schedules allow, to just talk. I wouldn't want this to feel like a pressured time constraint. But as an artist and student, trying to become better at photography, I benefit a great deal out of group conversations. Please let me know if anyone is interested- I think that since our group is so small we could really use this semester to challenge/help each other.

In answer to your question Mary, I am never very confident when I put work up. I know that it is not my place to judge it. It stands on its own. As the artist, I can only state what I think it means to me and that may sprout some ideas about what it means to other people. But as we discussed in class last semester, an artist statement may weaken work. I am kind of timid to share my thoughts about what I think my work means, because I don't want to limit the interpretation of it. Every critique I am surprised about what people get out of it. As the artist, all I can do is listen to the feedback and respond.

I think I have a better understanding about why I do what I do, this semester than any semester past. But I still don't want to force my audience to feel a particular thing. It will mean something different to everyone- I think that is kind of beautiful.

I really like sharing what is in my heart at the time, but I will always be concerned about what others think. I put a lot of emotions into my work and thus, feel attached to it. But I also have to realize what I think it means isn't the "right," meaning. This is why I think as a group we could really benefit from each other. The more I get to know someone, the more confident I am.

Monica | February 8, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Thanks for sharing Mary, I really enjoy Hughes's photos you've shared. It made me think of Richard Prince for a split second, just how easy it seemed. The fact that Hughes did so much work only to photocopy is cool (for lack of better words). And Shane, I am not just saying that because I am not a fan of Prince’s work. I liked his photos more than his process.. but I don’t really want to talk about it anymore, that lecture was enough haha.

Mary, you've really made me think of what I want my goal to be this semester. It's a simple one, but simple can be good. I propose we do everything we can so that we do not feel that sense of uneasiness. When people are honest with themselves and their work you can tell, and no one can really tell you how you feel, you know? I read a quote a few days ago that said something like "if you are already doubting yourself you've already given up" I know I am guilty of that, but it’s a great reminder so I can kick my butt and get in gear. Not feeling prepared, nervous because I am a senior and I feel like I have so much growing to do. Empower yourself and know that you are around a group of people that have your back, will help you, and wait eagerly for you to show your latest prints!

I feel a real connection with what I am doing and that’s probably the most real part about my work. It gives me the best feeling. Hopefully you can feel that connection too. I feel like you did with your final photos last semester. It’s inspiring to see and hear artists speak passionately about their work. That is what drives me to create more than the actual work itself. I like stories, which can be my vice at times. I am more about the process than the outcome, which is why I am nervous about showing my work most of the time. I feel like people can only understand if they know what I am feeling or trying to express, but I have problems working past that. I need to let others feel and interpret more like Jacki does before I open my mouth, I shouldn’t quench people’s creativity! I am glad that we are getting to go through these two classes together, but I should stop talking now, let’s kick some butt this semester!

P.S. I agree wholeheartedly with what you said in your last paragraph Jacki. Even if it makes sense to me, that doesn't mean it's the "right" way to do things. Good thoughts!

Mary Catherine | February 10, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Thanks you guys! Jacki, I am all for doing more group stuff. Our own individual work obviously, but there is just something I have gotten attached to in a way, working with others who understand or who are open to my work, and eachothers work. I think there is something there that shouldn't be passed by. I am usually someone who works completely alone, but I have thrived last semester, and almost get giddy before class because I know that I will come out with so much more knowledge then when I went it. I take so much from what you guys say and what, Shane, you have taught us. I am finding myself with you guys and with these specific two classes(Intermediate and Advanced)-and I think there is something so special there-that we need to expand on with eachother's help and guidance. I am all for more meetings outside of class. Let's do it! We also need to plan our Baba's project-I'm pumped about it. Lol. Thanks guys for making Senior year the best experiance of my school year.

Post a Comment