February 14, 2010

Inspired






We are always talking about people that inspire us... I cannot even begin to make a list of the ALL the photographers I get inspiration from. They make me want to do what they have already done and make me wish that I had thought of it first...However, we need to take these people and allow ourselves to think past what they have done and make something new and something that is a part of us. Last year, I knew so early on what I wanted to do, but this semester I have been struggling, so all I have been doing is look at artists, to get that spark of inspiration that I need. I have so many ideas, and no where to make an outlet for them...Shane says "just shoot" but even then...I am struggling to find a place to start. I have shot a few sets of pictures, and there is a part of me that thinks that they should come as easily has last semester, but now I know that it will not be that realized, that soon. A new challenge... 

There are two artists that I have that I would like to show today. They are two artists, that are my inspirations for the two directions I am looking at thus far... Annie Leibovitz and Kyle Ferino. The first two are Annie Leibovitz's pictures of famous people, describing to us the beauty of the body, and the part of the body that makes our passions/jobs take shape. What makes us be able to accomplish what we do? Are the biceps of a body builder is what helps them model and win? Is it the back of an ultimate fighter that helps him win a fight? I think Annie Leibovitz captures that really well in these pictures. Here, we see a picture of Lance Armstrong, using all of those muscles he used to train for his tours, but also to fight cancer. They are all so deeply connected.

The second two are Kyle Ferino, who documented his dad (thanks Jacki!) after his wife passed away. He takes pictures of where his mother sat, or the side of the bed that she slept on. These are things I have always wanted to document, but was to afraid to do so with my dad. He intimidates me, more then a stranger. Kyle has accomplished and captured, almost exact images, that my dad has been in, and I have wanted to be able to shoot and captures.

My question is: What inspires us to go out and do what we do? Why are we artists, and why is it so important for us to create what we do, and for others to feel and view it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment