February 28, 2010

Deadpan Photography and Claire Beckett


Ever since History of Photography last semester I have been interested in deadpan photography.

dead·pan   [ded-pan] Show IPA adjective, adverb, verb,-panned, -pan·ning, noun
–adjective
1. marked by or accomplished with a careful pretense of seriousness or calm detachment; impassive or expressionless: deadpan humor.
2. displaying no emotional or personal involvement: a deadpan style.

In seeing what my project was last semester I have become familiar with this type of style. I came upon this blog post by KEENPRESS Media that I thought was an interesting read. I disagree with their stance on deadpan, but I feel that there are a lot of people who feel the same way. Judging by the comments left on the post 5 out of 6 agree that deadpan is (for lack of better words) boring and lifeless. I would argue that this sort of style opens the door for the work to be interpreted with any emotion the viewer decides. Claire Beckett's work is considered deadpan imagery, and I feel that it exudes strong emotions. After all, the viewer will never leave thinking exactly what you want them to think or feel. Why not leave it up to them?

0 comments:

Post a Comment