October 19, 2010

Simplify,


don't make things more complicated than they have to be.

I wish I could go to the MOMA... there's a Jeff Wall exhibit that would be amazing to see! 

I was going to say to always read the essays and interviews, but are there times when maybe you shouldn't?  Does putting too many words to an image or process overcomplicate it? 

Instinctively, I vote no.. simply because I feel like I can make the words and the photographs two separate entities.. but I want to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

Unknown | October 19, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I have to think about this more...but I am not sure if I agree, because I have been thinking about doing something, like taking portraits of cancer patients but making it a diptych with their experiences, written next to their portraits. I am not sure though...I'll have to see what I can achieve and if it works. Its a tough question for sure, and I think something you would have to find out when you are in the process of editing down and seeing if it makes your piece stronger or takes away from the story people would be able to interpret without it.

Unknown | October 19, 2010 at 11:10 AM

PS. I am really glad you got onto the blog! It was good to hear from you and to see you contribute. I've missed you and your insight!!

Post a Comment