December 2, 2010

Hope and Anchor


Jacki, spend some time on the Hope and Anchor tumblr.  It showcases a lot of young photographers who may have similar interests as you:  documenting their experiencing of the world.  The more I think about it the more it makes sense:  this is what will begin to emerge from young artists such as yourself:  work dealing with how culture deprives its occupants of 'real' experiences.  If you give in, right, you will be attached to a piece of technology most of your life fully unaware of all the beautiful little things that go on around you?  As an artist, you try to defy that or subvert that or simply say, "I ain't gonna forget the world outside fiber optics and microwaves."

Also, check out snapshot photographers...especially Stephen Shore and, perhaps, Wolfgang Tillmans (can only find examples of his work scattered here and there: go to the library).

I think you have a unique opportunity for a portfolio to look exceptionally diverse in terms of image quality and explicit subject matter, but be tight as hell in terms of one thing:  every image is a document of you either directly or indirectly experiencing something that you may want to term, oh, I don't know:  'the semi-sublime':  things that Ansel Adams and Minor White would have paid no attention to but that you, now, today, in this world of ironic sensory deprivation find so much beauty in.

2 comments:

Jacki | December 2, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Holy freak!!!

Hope and Anchor images= freaking beautiful. Looked at them ALL. Thanks for the connect to that.

You always analyze me well. I think this is what I want but couldn't formulate into words. That's what photography does for me, it releases me from the optic/microwave world and it lets me document what I don't want to forget about. That's probably my biggest fear aside from one other big thing, is losing sight of the little things and being stuck numb-minded in my world of glorious beauty.

Sometimes I get into these zone off points in my day when I just stare at a ligt spot on the wall and think that if only I could experience just being that light on the wall. If I could only shine throughout the day on the dirty floor and on greasy faces. If all I could do is make someone close their eyes due to the brightness and feel warmth for a split second on their skin and make them smile, that's all I would want. The more I think about it, the more I want to just be what I can see. Maybe this is why I tranfer myself into these places also, is because...Yup... you got it right I want to experience these little things to the fullest and I don't want to forget myself. I know I shouldn't focus on wanting to show a particular thing... But perhaps that's just it is that I'm experincing and I want other people to experince.

Beauty is not always in outlined frames nor is it called beauty much of the time. It hides behind doors, in corners and on salty doorsteps. It finds me on the coldest mornings and under the tables. There's no way to escape it. Even when my heart is stuck in the traffic jam of emotions nothing makes it pump harder than experincing newly found beauty.

I will never be ashamed to admit loving. There was this one day in summer when I was looking into these gloriously dark eyes. We were leaning on rocks and my eyes were already wet with tears. As the sun set, the sunlight lit up those eyes into the most beautiful golden mirrors I have ever seen. I was captivated in the most nonexpected way. As the sunlight shined down on soft golden skin and dark hair It was like I was found. The softly spoken words that went along with this beautiful face made it seem like a whole experience.

It's as if I fall more in love with light everyday. This is the realationship I want to tell everyone about. It consumes me day in and day out. It finds me staring for no reason and exploring new worlds of possibly the simplest places. Maybe that's what I miss out on the most is simply being open to finding and exclaiming "beauty" in new places.

Jacki | December 2, 2010 at 4:46 PM

But in more of a direct response: I think you are, as always, right on in your diagnosis. And that I will pursue documenting my experincing my world. What better way to keep my eyes and heart busy?

Post a Comment